Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Fabric Souk



The entrance to one of several fabric souks. They are in large buildings near Souk El-Mubarakiya.





Looking left and right as we enter -





This is a very large place - fabric is a BIG deal in Kuwait. Lots of people make their own clothing here. Quilting is also apparently very popular. Along the halls we saw many displays of things for sale including trim...



...accessories...


...and of course plenty of fabric.


I didn't take too many pictures because I couldn't avoid getting people in them and it is a little rude to take people's pictures without permission.

I admired a fancy ceiling at this store - maybe I'm silly but I found it quite fantastic.




The fellow at this little shop allowed me to take some photos. He imports handmade things from India and since he is the only one (that we found anyway) he sells them at a premium.



He had a few items of clothing and completed pieces, but mostly he specializes in decorative pieces - you buy a few little things and use them to create or decorate your own piece.



He had a LOT of pretty stuff in this little place.



On my way out of the fabric souk, I noticed these doors. This souk seemed kind of like a aged indoor mall - so in some ways similar to a US shopping location. But the differences from such a place in the US are many
- doors and decor that stands out
- each place appears to be privately owed
- each shop is sooo tiny but totally packed from floor to ceiling.
I wish we'd been able to spend more time wandering through the halls, as each corner brought so many sights it was almost hard to focus your eyes and really SEE. I could have spent an hour in one corner, just gazing in the windows of a few shops.
Now, off to put together that school posting for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment